Best Practice Protocol
BEST PRACTICE PROTOCOL TO MANAGE CHESTNUT INTERNAL ROT
- Remove or mulch all burrs, leaves and twigs from orchard well before flowering.
- Prune trees to allow a minimum of 1 metre to 1.5 metres between trees and 1.5 metres beneath trees.
- Do not use sprinkler or micro – jet irrigation during flowering.
- Do not use sprinklers that wet the leaves of trees.
HARVEST – POSTHARVEST
- Prior to harvesting do cutting tests to determine rot levels to decide whether or not to harvest at all.
- Harvest frequently – daily is best.
- Shake down nuts if they are hanging in trees.
- Wash and float nuts prior to despatch. Discard floaters.
- Cool nuts rapidly.
- Store chestnuts at Celsius to -2° C in high humidity in a cool room.
- Final cutting tests and inspection should be carried out as close as possible to despatch.
- Communicate with your agent prior to sending chestnuts.
- Ensure that your transport provider has properly refrigerated trucks to maintain the “cool chain”.
Please feel free to forward this information onto any chestnut grower who may not be aware of these industry standards